Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Mammoth (and plea for help!)

Today I met Beth at Memorial Bridge for our 18 mile bike ride. However, it was 4 miles just to bike to the bridge and already I was hot and my tush was sore. We met up on the steps overlooking the Potomac, hydrated, and then set out into Virginia via the Mount Vernon Trail. I had never been on that trail before, a shame since I've lived here for four years! It was really beautiful, and the breeze made the heat a little bearable. After about four miles, I had lost Beth (she was way ahead of me) and my tush needed a break. I rode back to a little park I saw a mile back and sat in the shade waiting for Beth to come back. When she found me a few minutes later, I told her about my tush woes. We decided to trade bikes for a little while. OMG, the difference between her bike and mine was like night and day! Her bike felt like I was sitting on clouds, I could go faster with little effort, and all the gears actually worked! After riding her bike for only five minutes I decided it was too cruel to let her ride mine any longer. We both decided that my bike pretty much sucks for several reasons:

1) It's too damn small for me! I think the frame would be more apt to someone 5'4 (I'm 5'7).
2) The seat. Oh my god how much I hate that seat. It feels like you are sitting on a rock. You can feel every little bump and groove in the road...trust me, it doesn't feel good.
3) It's heavy and the tires are really fat. It's a mountain bike. Not a road bike!
4) Only half of the gears work, and they don't shift well.

Ok, I could probably go on but you get the point. I bought the bike used for $25 two years ago so it's not like I am out of money getting rid of the mammoth. That's my nickname for the hunk of metal and rubber, hence the title of this post.

So I need a new bike, but I don't really know where to start. I wonder if I should get a road bike or get a hybrid? I'm such a rookie, all you bikers out there will laugh, but I'm a little intimidated by road bikes. They just look so flimsy and fragile. Also, they're expensive. I have some money to spend, but I'm not looking to break the bank. Can anyone out there give me some suggestions, or even some advice about buying a new bike? My tush and I will thank you!

2 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Having an uncomfortable seat and the wrong size bike makes life ueber horrible!

Here's a good place to start: http://www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit/

Once you figure out what size frame you need, I'd recommend getting a used bike on eBay and then having it custom fit. The overall cost will be cheaper.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I have NO idea how much you are willing to spend, but I would suggest looking around at REI for a bike for a few reasons:
1. The Novara bikes and K2 bikes go on sale all the time
2. You can get a LOT of bike for not much money
3. They will do EVERYTHING to make sure you're 100% happy with your bike

I bought the K2 T:9 Tempest back in April, and I love it! It needed some tweaking here and there, and every time I brought it in, they fixed it on the spot.

I also waited for a sale and I ended up with a 30% discount, even though I had to special order it!

I have just been very happy with my experience with REI and their effort to make sure I am satisfied with such a huge purchase.

Good luck on the swimming and your tri endeavor! There are a bunch of meets in the area in July!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home