Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Swimming with the Masters

Last week I got the bright idea that Beth and I should join a Masters Swim group. Beth agreed and we decided to try a local area's swim workout on Monday. Monday afternoon I started freaking out...what if I can't keep up? what if I completely run into another swimmer (i.e. testing my pool etiquette skills)? what if they make me do the butterfly? Oh me oh my, I cannot do the butterfly!!! I call Beth and tell her my worries and as always she is completely laid back and tells me we are going. If it's really bad we can just leave, she reasons with me.

We arrived at the pool a little early and were able to talk to one of the coordinators of the group. He immediately squashed most of the fears I had about joining the group. He told me if I couldn't do the butterfly, I didn't have to! If I couldn't swim 3000 yards, I didn't have to! What's more, the coach holds two stroke clinics each week. One clinic focuses on freestyle, the other focuses on the other three strokes. So if I decide I want to learn the butterfly later on, I can!

Beth and I decided to check out the freestyle stroke clinic that was being held that night. It would give us an opportunity to get more feedback on our form as well as give us a chance to check out the other swimmers in the group (I was still nervous about swimming with the "masters"). The coach, noticing several new faces that night, decided to start with the basics. He made us do several drills to improve bouyancy in hopes that we would swim more efficiently. It was really helpful! Next week he said he would focus on the stroke. Ya-hoo, I can't wait! It's almost like having a private swim coach, for almost nothing (it costs about 4 bucks for each workout).

1 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

hey stephanie, i'm looking for a masters' swim class in d.c. too! i can swim (barely); know anything good in bethesda? (you can e-mail me, in my profile.) Thanks!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home