Friday, June 16, 2006

Oh Little Bumblebee


I couldn't sleep the other night. My mind was racing with thoughts about the triathlon. I was exhausted after my summer graduate courses started during the same time that I had multiple deadlines at work. I began wondering if maybe I wouldn't have time to train for the triathlon. Maybe I hadn't been taking the triathlon as seriously as I should. I mean, I can run a 5k just fine. I do that multiple times a week. But...I've never had to swim, bike, and then run before. How on earth will I be able to find the energy to do all of that with only two and a half months left before the race?

I quickly ran out of bed and pulled out the triathlon training book that had started to develop a thin layer of dust on the jacket. I was trying to find some assurance that in the amount of time I have left I will be able to accomplish my goal. This is what I found:

"The bumblebee should not be able to fly. After a series of analyses and observations, NASA scientists concluded that given the bee's body design and weight, there is simply no way the insect should be able to get off the ground. Thankfully, the scientists didn't tell the bumblebee, which blissfully takes to the air with little regard for humankind's most esteemed aviation experts." -Eric Harr, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week

Surely if the bumblebee can fly, then I can swim, bike and run the distance. I can finish the remaining 10 classes left for my Masters in only one year while working full-time. I can do all of this and more. All I have to do is believe that I can do it. I was taught this as a kid (haven't we all read "The Little Engine that Could" as young'ns?), but sometimes I still need to be reminded.

The next day I went to the pool, alone without my training partner for the first time. It was early in the afternoon and I had the entire pool to myself for a while. I swam 1200 yards, the farthest I have ever swam, farther than is required for the race. I swam the distance. I had the strength left to swim more but I didn't need to. I knew that I could and that was all I needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home