Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Shoe Hunt

Thursday I went to Fleet Feet with high hopes of purchasing a great pair of new shoes. I walk in, the sales associate asks me about my old shoes, and brings out a new pair of the same shoe. My heart sank a bit. I remember in my pre-running years when I would buy a shoe based on 1) how it looked then 2) how it felt. I don't think I ever bought the same pair of shoes twice. I enjoyed getting a new shoe each time. So, I told the sales associate that I might be interested in exploring my options. He brought out a few other pairs of shoes and after testing them I settled on the Brooks GTS. I wore them home, only a half mile walk, and realized, oh s*#t, these feel like they have no cushion at all! I hate them!!! Panic set in. What if the plantar f. comes back because I'm wearing an uncomfortable shoe? I wore them around the house..."Dammit! Why didn't I just stick to my tried and true shoe???" I knew I had to take them back. So today I shamefully went back to the store, white bag in hand.

Sales Associate: "Can I help you?"
Me: "Hi, I'd like to exchange a pair of shoes I bought on Thursday."
SA: "What happened?"
Me: "Well, hehe...I got home and realized I don't like them. They feel like they don't have any cushion. I like my old shoes and want to get those. I'm not sure why I got a different shoe this time."
SA: Knowingly kids, "Ah ha!...You thought you wanted something different, didn't ya?"
Me: "Yeah, " I shrug.
SA: "You wouldn't believe how many people come back to the store wanting to try something different and then a few days later walk back through the door with the white bag in hand wanting to go back to the tried and true."

He then looks over at the BF and says, "You better watch out!"

We all got a good laugh out of that.

So, I'm now back at home wearing my new pair of the Adidas SuperNova Classics. I can't wait to take them out for a run tomorrow. Now that I have bought the same shoe twice, I feel like I have met a new milestone with running. I feel like like this makes me a more "serious" runner somehow (I'm sure this is all in my head).

2 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

I love that Fleet Feet! I just found you from my log files...do we know each other??
I'll put you on my bloglines!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Jeanne, I also have the Stephanie Lynn Studio blog. I recently created this blog to separate the craft stuff (which is really nil lately) from the running/tri talk. Sorry for the confusion. I love your blog!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home